Nintendo 3DS VS PS Vita: Which Should You Buy?
The Nintendo 3DS is currently the only next generation handheld gaming system on the market, so there really is no competitor for it...yet.
With the Sony Playstation Vita coming out February 23, it could add some healthy competition for the folks at Nintendo.
If you don't own either of them but you plan on buying one, how can you decide?
If price is your main concern, the Nintendo 3DS definitely ends up being more inexpensive. Costing an average of $100 less than the PS Vita, it will definitely leave some extra cash for you to spend on video games for your new system. In addition, the PS Vita has an optional 3G version available that will cost more upfront, and charge you a monthly fee in exchange for a data plan service with a cell phone provider. The Nintendo 3DS is the clear winner here, by a mile.
This one is going to be a little trickier to determine a winner for. The graphics on each system is different. The Nintendo 3DS has two screens, and the base graphics are pretty good considering the price you paid for the system. The main selling point for the 3DS is, well, the 3D aspect. In terms of the 3D effect, it is clear enough that you won't get a headache from too much playing, and it has a useful slider on the side that controls the strength of the 3D effect.
For the PS Vita, which is being marketed as a pure gaming machine by Sony, it lacks the modern 3D graphics but makes up for it by providing stunning visuals and lush colors on the beautiful 5 inch OLED touchscreen. Graphics are definitely better than those found on the Playstation 2 and Nintendo 3DS, and with enough development may even reach the PS3 level of detail. If you want the novelty of 3D gaming, the 3DS is your choice. If you want impressive graphics and a high level of detail, however, the PS Vita takes the vote.
What good is your gaming system if there are no games available for it? The PS Vita was released in December in Japan, and there weren't any strong titles available on release date, which led to very poor sales of the device. With the North America and Australia launches, better games should be available from the start, such as Mortal Kombat 9 and Uncharted. Because it is a new release, though, there aren't too many games available regardless.
The Nintendo 3DS has the upper hand here because it was released over a year ago and has a bigger library, though the games may not necessarily be better. If you are looking for action games or more realism in your games, the PS Vita is your game system of choice. If you want fun, engaging games that are sometimes quirky, then definitely get the Nintendo 3DS.
The resulting choice is actually kind of difficult if you haven't figured out what kind of games you would prefer to play, how much you want to spend (or your budget permits), and what you want to get out of your system.
For gamers who don't mind the higher price tags and want more serious games, the PS Vita will be a great choice because of its dual analog sticks that feel amazing in your hands (just like the home consoles!), and cutting edge graphics, as long as you don't mind having a limited selection of video games initially.
For those who want fun games that have some very interesting game mechanics which utilizes dual screens and impressive 3D visuals, the Nintendo 3DS will provide a great experience, as well as a robust game library for thoseåwho are willing to substitute the more serious games.
- Nintendo Game Consoles: A Timeline - The history of video game consoles goes back through the 1970's, but many people believe that the Video Game Era properly began with the dawn of Nintendo game consoles in the form of the Nintendo Entertainment System. They're pro...
- Old Video Game Consoles That Still Rock - At some point, old video game consoles become cool again. There's something in the DNA of each console that makes it too "old" at one point, and then "retro" at another. Having ascended its way to the world of elite Xbox's and Pla...
- Which Gaming Console Most Suits Your Personality? - If you've never been much of a video game user - or simply not avid enough to buy a game system of your own, you probably find yourself torn between three great brands. For example, you have the newly re-invented Nintendo brand, w...
- Xbox 360 Elite Review - So you want to learn more about the Xbox 360 Elite, but you're sick of wading through reviews that take 8 pages to reach their conclusion. Well, look no further! This "pocket" review of the Xbox 360 will run as quickly and smooth...
- Wii Bundles & Extras: Where to Find the Best Deals - The Wii is an entertainment system that demands you be proactive - on minute you're dancing on the floor, and the next you're belting out a song in Rock Band. But being proactive isn't just about the way you play; it's about the ...