How to Tell If You’re a “Wii” Man
No, I'm not calling you a "wee" man, I'm saying you might be a "Wii" man - as in Nintendo Wii, the unique and brand-defying entry from Nintendo that escapes the traditional Xbox vs. PlayStation battles by carving its own niche.
The Wii isn't just unique because of its unique games - although NHL '11 will be a Wii exclusive - it's the unique experience that counts. Some people love the multiplayer Xbox Live or the Blu-Ray compatible PlayStation 3; but some of you are simply hooked on standing up in order to play most of your games.
If you aren't sure which of the "big three" gaming consoles to buy, you're about to find out. Let's admit it: in this day and age, buying a game console for yourself is a major purchase. Let's take a look at some of the best questions you'll want to begin asking yourself.
What's your budget like?
Budget, cost, money. It all falls underneath the simple question of how much cold hard cash you have on you. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, then maybe none of the game systems are for you.
Okay, you don't want that bad news. The good news is that many of the game consoles are available used from sites like Gumtree and eBay.com.au. If you do want to buy a new, fresh console for yourself, the Nintendo Wii is not a bad buy. At around $250, you'll get access to a whole different genre of games, as well as a totally different experience from the sit-and-play counterparts from Microsoft and Sony.
Do you need to get exercise?
Okay, so maybe you don't have to exercise a lot to play MarioKart on the Nintendo Wii, but if you do want to get some more exercise while entertaining yourself at the same time, then you're a Wii man. Programs like the Wii Fit are targeted to you, but other games like Mario Tennis will also keep you on your feet and moving. If you ever want to sneak in some exercise under the guise of playing a "game," the Wii is your best bet, short of actually playing sports with other friends.
Don't count on the Wii to lose all the pounds for you, but do consider it an intriguing buy if you want to get in shape for the next season.
Is gaming a "friendly" experience for you?
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that many people take their gaming very seriously, but when I say "friendly" experience, I'm employing a pun: the question is, do you often have friends to play with? If you do, then the Nintendo Wii is ideal for parties and general hanging out. Make sure you buy plenty of games that are four-player capable, and make sure you can buy games in which each player plays simultaneously: you can get more people to play that way. No one wants to take turns, say, bowling.
One note: Xbox Live is also a great "social" experience, but it's a little less personal and a little more serious than the Wii experience.
Have you ever been into video games before?
The Nintendo Wii is a relatively simple way to ease into the gaming world if you've never been a very serious gaming nerd. Buying an Xbox can be a drastic leap for someone who's never gotten a lot of enjoyment out of traditional video games, but the Nintendo Wii's experience appeals to a wider audience who simply want some no-frills games that don't require a lot of thinking. Nintendo Wii fans might take that as an insult, so if you feel a little bit hurt as well, that may be an indication that you are, after all, a "Wii" man. Or woman.
- Cheap Game Consoles – Where To Buy Them. - Despite what you may have heard, cheap game consoles aren't make-believe like unicorns or leprechauns. They really do exist here in the real world. But since they can be hard to pin down, a really cheap game console has become so...
- 5 Killer Tips To Get More Out Of Your XBox 360 - [caption id="attachment_1796" align="alignright" width="285" caption="Xbox 360 Tips"][/caption] Playing on your Xbox 360 can be great, but when you're playing that next round of golf on Tiger Woods 2010, are you really wondering: ...
- Which Gaming Console Most Suits Your Personality? - If you've never been much of a video game user - or simply not avid enough to buy a game system of your own, you probably find yourself torn between three great brands. For example, you have the newly re-invented Nintendo brand, w...
- Who’s Winning the Game Console Wars? - Despite how many different types of game consoles and games there are today, you may be surprised to learn that one of the major gaming companies seems to rule over the others with an iron fist -that is, as long as it comes to gam...
- Old Video Game Consoles That Still Rock - At some point, old video game consoles become cool again. There's something in the DNA of each console that makes it too "old" at one point, and then "retro" at another. Having ascended its way to the world of elite Xbox's and Pla...